Monday, February 27, 2012

Kinney named Plymouth Chamber of Commerce Young Professional of the Year

By Rusty Nixon
Director of Development and Alumni Affairs


PLYMOUTH - After graduation many college grads find their way to the bright lights and big jobs of the big city. After trying that route, one honor graduate found what he was looking for, right back in his home town.

Brent Kinney was a 2003 graduate of Plymouth High School, moved on to graduate with distinction from Indiana University's Kelley School of Business and spent a time working in the corporate offices of Target in Minneapolis. Now he's the recently named Plymouth Chamber of Commerce Young Professional of the Year.

"It really wasn't the best thing for me," said Kinney of his Target days. "It really wasn't the kind of career path that I wanted to be on. They are a great company and Minneapolis is a great place to live. It was a great experience but it wasn't for me really."

Brent knew what was the right thing for him all along. He returned to Plymouth to work with his father Jack's company - J. Kinney & Associates an independent, full-service financial advisory firm.

"I think I always envisioned a day when I would come back home and get into business with my dad," said Brent. "I don't know if I knew what kind of business but I always just assumed we'd do something together. I guess I planned on coming back home all along, it just happened a lot quicker than I thought it might."

Like many Plymouth natives, Brent says he took a lot of his hometown with him wherever he's gone.

"Everywhere I've ever been and everything I've ever done, Plymouth made me what I am," he said. "You'd be hard pressed to find another place like Plymouth anywhere.

"A lot of people look at a small town and everybody knowing everything about everybody else and maybe to some that can be a negative but I think there is a lot of comfort in that. As I was growing up there was a whole community that knew me and knew my parents and they were all there to watch over me and help me make good decisions. Teachers, coaches, people in the community -  my parents didn't have to carry that all by themselves. Everybody looking out for each other, and I think of that as a good thing."

Brent and his Father Jack look forward to their partnership in the years to come and expanding their interests in J. Kinney and Associates. The lessons learned in Plymouth will help.

"It's really hard to pinpoint just one thing I learned growing up here but I think it would be if you want something you have to work for it," said Brent. "You have to put the time in if you want to be successful no matter what you're doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment