Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Beauty and the Beast onstage this weekend

By Rusty Nixon
Director of Development and Alumni Affairs


PLYMOUTH - A classic comes alive on the Plymouth High School stage this weekend as the performing arts department presents the Disney's Beauty and the Beast Friday, May 4, and Saturday, May 5.

Shows begin at 7:30 PM each evening are are in the PHS Auditorium Doors open at 7:00 PM for festival seating. All seats are $7.00 and tickets can be purchased at the door before the show. The show is produced through arrangements with Music Theatre International.

"I really enjoy this show because it's a chance for all the performing arts kids to come together," said Charlotte Tyree, director of the production. "We have the instrumental music kids, the choir and the theatre kids all working together on the same show and really it's always a lot of fun and exciting for me to have them all together for a show."

As the Beast, Blake Miller is a veteran of music, but acting is something a little different.

"I'm in Crimson Connection so I know about singing but I've never had an acting class," said Miller. "Mrs. Glaub (PHS Choir Director) encouraged me to give it a try and I thought it would be a lot of fun and it is."

There are some key differences, such as stage directions - always keeping your face forward.

"It is a little harder than I thought it would be," said Miller. "They're always after me to face the audience when I'm singing or speaking. Staying in character is a little tougher than I thought it would be too."

For Belle (Jenny Dudash) and the Beast's Entourage - Priscilla Hammonds, Becca Houser, Cassie Gaines, Jason Pickell and Kelsey Shaffer - the show has been a lot of fun, and one scene in particular lives up to a PHS tradition - the musical number "Be Our Guest".

"Through the years the tradition is that we are all responsible for our own costumes and we take a lot of pride in that," said Gaines who plays Mrs. Potts. "You have all the characters out there in the costumes they've made and it really lives up to that tradition over the years."

Kelsey Shaffer as "Cogsworth" had another highlight of the show.

"I can't believe how lucky I am," she said. "I'm getting to play my favorite clock in a Disney movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment