Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Senior Eads honored by IHFCA

PLYMOUTH – Dedication is a common theme to excellence at anything.

Plymouth Rockie Calvin Eads is proof of that belief as the senior linebacker has been honored by the Indiana Football Coaches Association and the Indianapolis Colts as an Indiana Academic All Star Team member. Calvin is a first team defensive member and joins an elite group of just 24 players around the state so honored.
“It really has to do with commitment,” said Calvin of his honor. “There’s the commitment to work hard and to your teammates. On the field you have that responsibility to your other teammates and in the classroom you have the same commitment to your teachers. There are a lot of lessons you learn on the field you can take to the classroom.”
One of those lessons for Calvin had to do with old saying that who you are is determined by what you do when nobody else is looking. His motivation came from within.
“I always felt like my class work was pretty important to my parents (James and Beth Eads) but it wasn’t something they came right out and said to me,” he said. “It was just important to me to do what they wanted me to do and make them proud of me. I just had to keep myself motivated to do the job.”
Calvin Eads makes the stop in a game this year against Wawasee. Photo courtesy of the Pilot News.
While his achievements have no doubt made his family proud, his football achievements have also been a big part of who he is.
“I just love the game,” he said. “There is nothing like it. The emotion that goes into it. I love playing football. I love the feeling you get when you make a big play or your teammate makes a big play. It’s really what it’s all about.”
Calvin came late to his love of football. In fact he didn’t play the game until he was in the eighth grade.
“I didn’t really do much of anything until I was in the eighth grade,” he said. “I just decided I wanted to get involved with some things and I played three sports that year (football, track and wrestling) and I didn’t see any reason to stop after that.”
Calvin continues his senior year as a part of Bob Read’s wrestling team.
“It’s a totally different sport,” he said. “It’s still a physical sport but it’s more of a testing of yourself.”
There are more challenges on the horizon for Calvin, but they are challenges he has set for himself for his future.
“I’m pretty sure I’m going to go to Purdue and study some type of engineering – I’m not really sure what kind yet. Maybe aeronautical or chemical,” he said. “It would be great if I could continue to keep putting the pads on and playing football but I’m afraid that probably isn’t going to be an option at Purdue.”

No comments:

Post a Comment